Sporting Bengal Football Academy
The Sporting Bengal Football Academy (SBFA) was established in May 2012 with the support of ex-professional footballer Anwar Uddin. It was identified that local talented footballers were not fulfilling their true potential due to lack of structured football training from an early age and because of no clear pathways to professional football. With the support of Anwar Uddin, the academy got off to a great start. In the open trials period more than 200 children came in the first 2 weeks. In the first year over 50 boys registered and in the second year over 60 boys registered. The community has welcomed the initiative and it has had great support from the parents.
The academy is open every Tuesday’s from 6pm- 8pm at Stepney Green Astro pitch and currently 8 coaches working with around 75 boys every week. The academy offers children from 6-16 the opportunity to receive structured football coaching from FA Level 2 qualified coaches who come from different ethnic backgrounds. The academy is open to all children in Tower Hamlets and neighbouring boroughs.
The aim is to engage children into sports from an early age and support the talented players to move to academies of professional clubs. The academy has 4 youth teams playing in East London and Essex (ELE) Junior League and has encouraged many parents to start supporting their children’s development. There is an academy team for under 10s, 11s, 12 and 15-16s.
Apart from the football, children improve their confidence, motivation, communication skills, discipline and fitness. They make friends, enjoy and develop as a person. The academy has built up a good reputation and children and parents appreciate this.
We would like to thank everyone involved with the academy, coaches, parents, volunteers for helping to make it a real success. This year we are hoping it to be even bigger and better.
- In the first year, Abid Haque was selected for the Arsenal Advance School at the age of 7.
- In the second year, the U12’s did exceptionally well and came runners up in the ELE Junior league.
- U12’s went onto win many local, regional and national competitions that year.
- Played against MK Dons, QPR, Leicester City, Dagenham & Redbridge, Newport & Cardiff City academy teams.
- MK Dons selected 2 boys for their Academy, Fahim Islam and Hamza Hakim
- QPR Development Centre selected 5 boys, Fahim Islam, Raul Gazi, Adil Haque, Tanvir Hussain & Wayez Ali to attend their advance school for 10 weeks.
- Hamza Hakim, our U13’s goalkeeper joined Norwich excellence centre for a year in September 2015 after impressing during 6 months’ trial with them.
- Adil Haque had the opportunity to have trials at Dagenham & Redbridge FC.
- The academy coaches have visited the West Ham Academy in Chadwell Heath to learn how the academy coaches work. 20 boys attended an 11 week’s pre-academy sessions at West Ham.
- In the 2015-16 season, the U14 team won the Essex Junior League Cup and finished runners up in the league.
- Manik Miah - Academy Coordinator and U13 Manager
- Sana Miah – Head Coach & U11 Manager
- Imrul Gazi – Head Scout & U11 Manager
- Anam Haque - U16 Manager
- Ayas Ali - U11 Manager
- Ahmed – U8 Coach
- Asif Rob – U12 Coach
- Abdul Hakim – U13 Coach
- Nadeem – U13 Coach